The construction and civil engineering sector encompasses a number of highly skilled and specialised sub-sectors, many of which are finding innovative solutions to tricky problems every single day. More often than not, those solutions are eligible for UK R&D tax relief, and that’s where we come in.
Construction and civil engineering experts who really understand your business
At Ayming, we are more than just tax and accounting professionals, we have teams of construction and civil engineering specialists who have worked in the sector and can truly understand your business.
Every year, our R&D experts analyse more than 15,000 R&D projects worldwide. We will conduct peer to peer conversations with your team to understand your projects and will identify all eligible expenditure for your R&D tax claims.
What counts as R&D?
If your business is involved with any of the following construction or civil engineering research projects or activities, you may be able to claim R&D tax relief.
Research and development in construction
- Advances in engineering to develop new or unique materials and combinations of materials.
- Use of automation to lower costs and speed up construction times.
- Design & build of specialist machines or the modification of existing equipment.
- Creating, improving or adapting existing construction methods, materials and design for projects.
Research and development in transport & urban infrastructure
- Improved infrastructure design of transportation, water, or sewer and storm water networks.
- Water storage and pump station design.
- Bulk earthworks design, improving cut fill quantities, site drainage and material selection methods.
- Development of sustainable drainage solutions, e.g. green space design, retention and detention facilities or permeable paving solutions.
- Replacement of old pipe infrastructure using new methods e.g. Pipe Cracking, Cured In Place Pipe (CIPP), lining of existing pipes or improved Horizontal drilling methods for pipe replacement.
Research and development in marine & coastal
- Improved pile design and/or installation methodology required to support offshore structures.
- Unique harbour/break water design.
- Development or improvement of sub-sea installation methodologies to overcome site-specific challenges.
Geotechnical research and development
- Advances in geotechnical investigation or treatment of ground contamination and land reclamation.
- Advances in structural groundworks, e.g. piling, retaining systems or tunnelling methods, constructing in difficult sites or ground conditions requiring adaptation to standard construction methods.
Environmental & sustainability research and development
- Development of improved utility services for residential and commercial properties to reduce carbon emissions.
- Integration of renewable energy systems into standard building design.
- Development of low carbon impact materials for building construction.
Structural research and development
- Unique infrastructure design.
- Optimisation of structural design to reduce amount of materials.
- Software developments to optimise dynamic analysis.
Research and development in demolition & waste management
- Recycling of building rubble and waste to create new products with higher performance at a reduced cost.
- Optimisation of demolition process to enable the use of smaller machines to reduce the props required to support the structures.
- Extensive equipment modification to overcome issues related to project specifications or site environment.
- Design of renewable energy infrastructure for industrial and commercial end users.
Research and development in utility services
- Improved biomass fuel handling and storage facility design & construction at processing plants and power stations.
- Improving overhead line design or construction (e.g. new pylon design, improved construction methods or new material incorporation).
Why choose Ayming?
As the UK’s R&D market leader for the construction and civil engineering sector, you can count on us to:
- Optimise your claim value, having increased clients’ historic claims by as much as 6 times.
- Streamline your processes to ensure minimum impact on your team’s time and resources.
- Ensure that your claims are low-risk and robust, safeguarding against any HMRC enquiries.